Saturday 1 June 2013

My Hyperemesis Diaries: Treatment & Hospital

This post is the second in a 3-part series in my experience of living with Hyperemesis Gravidarum. You can see my post on Diagnosis here.

No Title.

The weeks following my diagnosis of Hyperemesis Gravidarm were an emotional mixture of tears, sleep-deprivation, and the relentless feeling of being poisoned. Every evening I cried myself to sleep, just wishing to feel well enough to look after my son. "Why did I decide to do this? This isn't fair on John, nor Iain," who had found himself taking over care of the house and our little boy, all by himself. As much as I hate to admit it, I questioned if we'd made the right decision. Although I'd never consider terminating a pregnancy due to Hyperemesis, early on in my sickness-clouded pregnancy, I did decide this would be the last time I go through pregnancy, regardless of the outcome.

In my first pregnancy, I had been prescribed Cyclizine to ease my morning sickness and it was a life saver. Knowing it was a safe option for use in pregnancy, I asked my GP for it as soon as I started to feel ill in my second pregnancy. Given my previous experience with morning sickness & the fact I had John & work to juggle, my GP was happy to prescribe it. I took those 3 little tablets a day and expected the same miracle that I'd experienced last time. However, it wasn't the same -- the sickness still crept through. I started to become so ill that I couldn't keep water down, never mind anti-sickness tablets.

I took myself back to my GP and explained that I was still being sick & was in fact in a worse state as a result. This time they prescribed Prochloperazine, another stronger anti-sickness tablets suitable for use in pregnancy.

I've now had two hospital visits courtesy of the dehydration associated with Hyperemesis. The first being around 7 weeks pregnant -- I arrived at the hospital in the morning and spent the entire day having cups of water forced upon me. That first time I got home by the evening which was a relief when I'd been told to take an overnight bag, just in case.
The second visit - at 11 weeks of pregnancy - turned into the best part of a week stuck in a bed on the ante-natal ward. I had bag after bag of fluid pumped into me via an IV, and jag after jag into my bum of anti-sickness medicines. Half way through my hospital stay I was being sick continuously and it seemed like I'd never get home. But thankfully, after a few visits from very understanding, Hyperemesis experienced doctors, we had a better combination of anti-sickness medication that seemed to be working.

At this point in time I'm on a combination of Prochlorperazine (10mg 3 times a day) & Cyclizine (1 tablet 3 times a day). and at 16 weeks of pregnancy, I'm trying to cut out Cyclizine from my daily medication, mainly due to concern of taking so many tablets during pregnancy, as despite being reassured what I'm taking is safe for pregnant women, I'd still like to medication-free. So far my dropping Cyclizine has been successful and I'm hoping its a sign that my Hyperemesis is improving and I'll not be medication-dependant for the next 24 weeks. A girl can dream, right?

FacebookTwitterBloglovin'Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading & replying to all your comments. Be sure to drop me a comment if you're new here too! If I'm a little slow in replying then feel free to give me a nudge on Twitter (@amylorimer) or send me an email.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...